AMERICA'S FAMILY PET EXPO (AFPE) is coming back to the OC Fair & Event Center in Costa Mesa this April 28th – 30th! From big to small, this annual family-friendly event has it all! Come learn about pet care, stay for the entertainment, and maybe adopt a pet or two while you're there. Last year, there were more than 500 animal adoptions including dogs, cats (even a few guinea pigs) from the Pet Expo’s Southern California animal rescue partner organizations. Costa Mesa is America's Family Pet Expo first stop on the 2017 National Tour.
***Please Do Not Bring Your Pets***
“The Pet Expo is now in its 28th year and we couldn’t be more excited. Offering education on responsible pet care, entertainment, and pet adoptions, The Pet Expo is the ultimate destination for all pet lovers,” said Doug Poindexter, President of the World Pet Association, producers of the America’s Family Pet Expo. “Each year the show progresses to include the best in pet ownership and care. We will continue to offer a variety of educational presentations, product launches, amazing pet acts and our popular animal adoptions, as well as showcasing the latest trends in the pet care industry.”
This year's show includes:
“Cook’s Racing Hogs & Dogs” - a race that consists of four pigs, which run from one end of a 90-foot U-shaped track to the other. Four dogs then compete in a similar race. Waiting at the end of the track is a treat: vanilla ice cream and a golden Oreo cookie.
- The Catit Playground Debuts - The interactive activity brings a close up view for guests to watch adorable adoptable cats and kittens and see how they interact with different toys and people. This is a great atmosphere for guests to learn all about cats and toys they like.
- Lucy’s Wave Maker will return and also feature a cat surfer. The world's one and only mobile wave machine makes an encore appearance America’s Family Pet Expo showcasing the best surfing dogs and cats too! The wave maker made international headlines from its appearance in the 2017 Rose Parade.
- Repticon, reptile show and sale, offers hundreds of common and rare species of reptiles in all shapes and sizes, such as lizards, snakes, and spiders.
- Splash Dogs compete at dock jumping.
- Kid's Aquarium Contest: kids can design and create a 10-gallon aquarium in advance to the expo. It is a captivating learning program designed to teach children about the environment, stimulate their minds, ignite their creativity and warm their hearts through the rewards of pet care.(FAQ & Rules can be found on their website).
- Kids Aquarium Contest participants received: a ten (10) gallon aquarium with light and full hood (Tank: 20”L x 10”W x 12”H), 50 watt heater, ten gallon size power filter, thermometer, chemicals to condition water, fish food, and a net for fish. All the contestants had to bring their own decorations, background, gravel and fish.
- NEW! America’s Family Pet Expo Hobbyist Aquascaping contest for intermediate to advanced aquarists in a competition to create the most appealing natural aquarium. Ribbons and cash prizes will be awarded to the top 3 aquascapers on Saturday, April 29th at 5:00pm. Pet Expo attendees are encouraged to come watch the process of setting up a fully functional planted aquarium from 10am on Friday, April 28th to 12pm on Saturday, April 29th. The participants will use a variety of live plants and other natural decorations in order to create a miniature underwater jungle.
- Pet Adoptions will be handled onsite for those looking for that perfect animal addition to the family. There will be hundreds of animals hoping to find a great home from local community partner organizations at the Pet Expo.
There will also be Police Dog Demonstrations, an Aquatic Touch Tank and The Great American Petting Zoo for the whole family to enjoy. A few years ago when we went, we learned about Friends of Anaheim Police K9 which are police service dogs. They dedicate their lives to protect their partners. What happens to the friends when they retire? They get adopted by their masters, but it takes a lot of resources to keep them. Friends of Anaheim Police K9 Association volunteers raise funds to benefit the retired police service dogs of the Anaheim Police Department and need our support. They were selling merchandise that weekend and 100% of the profits benefited the retired police service dogs. We bought a cute stuffed animal to support them and my kid still plays with it. If you are a Pet-Lover, this event is for you!
America's Family Pet Expo 2017
OC Fair & Event Center
88 Fair Drive
Costa Mesa, CA
- EVENT HOURS: Friday 10am-6pm; Saturday 10am-7pm; Sunday 10am-6pm.
- ADMISSIONS: Adults - $15, Seniors 60+ - $13, Children 6-12 - $10, 5 yrs and under - free, Active and retired military free with ID.
- PARKING: $8 per vehicle.
The America’s Family Pet Expo is created, produced and managed by World Pet Association, Inc., a 65-year-old nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting responsible pet care. Please kindly leave all pets at home.
One LET'S PLAY OC! reader will win this prize. Please enter below for a chance to win!
US Residents Only. No purchase necessary to enter. All readers have an equal chance to win, however, you must enter to win. A winner will be randomly selected via RaffleCopter and notified via email. I will attempt to contact the winner for 3 days. If the winner cannot be reached by email, a new winner will be selected the same way. There are several different ways to earn entries. One prize per household. The winner will receive, free of charge, the prize mentioned above. This prize is not available for exchanges. Prizes are not transferable or refundable and must be accepted as awarded. The winner is responsible for any and all other costs and expenses not listed above. Not liable for unclaimed prizes or fulfillment.