Headed to Catalina Island and need a quick bite to eat? Avalon, California has a bakery cafe located inside the Shops at the Atwater. We stopped in for a tasting during our last visit to Catalina, and we liked it. Owned by the Catalina Island Company, BEN'S BAKERY offers a casual dining experience with a selection of grab-and-go sandwiches, breakfast items, paninis, wraps, baked goods, soups, salads, and pastries. BEN'S also serves fresh brewed Illy coffee, espresso drinks, iced coffee drinks, frozen blended drinks, hot tea, iced tea, smoothie bar and fresh juices of the day. I listed a sample of their menu below...
- Baked Goods: Plain Croissant, Chocolate Croissant, Breakfast bread of the day, Blueberry Muffins, Bran Muffins, Ham and Cheese Croissants, Jalapeno and Cheese Croissants, Sugar Butter Cake Croissant, Scones, Chocolate Chip Cookie, Oatmeal Raisin Cookie, or Gluten Free Cookie
- Hearty & Hot: Steel-Cut Oats, Stuffed French Toast, Chorizo & Egg Burrito, Egg White Wrap, Sausage, or Egg & Cheddar Muffin
- Lite & Refreshing: Park Row Parfait, or Harvest Blend (seasonal selection of naturally sweet and refreshing fruit)
- Salads: Chicken Al Pastor Chopped, Asian Chicken, Organic Quinoa, or Classic Caesar
- Soups: 100% Angus Beef Chili or Chef’s Daily Soup
- Ben’s Bentos: Mediterranean or Italian
- Paninis: Classic Cubano, Ham & Gouda, Cheesesteak Panini, Italiano Panini
- Wraps (with choice of plain or spinach tortilla) - Herb Chicken, Roasted Veggie, or Spicy Local Ahi
We liked the items we ordered (the paninis, desserts and drinks pictured). We liked it so much we stopped in a second time before we left the island. My husband is a sandwich guy and could eat it every day. If you have a sweet tooth like I do, they have a selection of delectable treats like Cheesecake, Peanut Butter Toffee Brownie, and Carrot Cake. They also have a Mixed Berry Tart, Chocolate Mousse, and Cupcakes. They have a little bit of everything for everyone including a smoothies. There was plenty of seating right next to it. The only thing is it is hidden inside a building, and if you were just walking by, you wouldn't know it was there. However, another way to look at it is, maybe they want to keep it as a local secret.
Ben's Bakery at the Shops at the Atwater
119 Sumner Ave, Suite G
Shops at the Atwater
HOURS: Open 6:30 am to 5 pm Daily
If it's your birthday, you can get 1/2 off your lunch at BEN’S BAKERY. Buy one lunch time sandwich or salad and receive 1/2 off a second sandwich or salad for the birthday traveler. Must show ID for proof of birth date.