MONSTER JAM is back in Orange County and the Trucks are revving it up to battle it out at the Angel's Stadium in Anaheim. This event is action-packed with crazy stunt driving, wheelie competitions, freestyle, and terrain racing. We went last Saturday as media and was stoked to see some of our favorite trucks compete Live! There are three Saturday events left in their Anaheim tour now through February 25th. This year’s truck lineup features appearances by Grave Digger, MAX-D, El Toro Loco, Bounty Hunter and Metal Mulisha with 7 new trucks making their Anaheim debut including Hurricane Force, Raminator, Xtreme Diesel, Jester, Over Bored, Xtermigator and Storm Damage.
The night started out strong as fourteen vehicles went head-to-head against the clock in the Racing qualification. Half way into it, they switched it up to do a Wheelie Competition. It was fun to watch their youngest female driver and rookie of the year, Wild Flower. (Rosalee Ramer is only 19 years old!) We all cheered when Time Flys took the trophy as it was well deserved. In the final racing competition, FS1 rolled over and we all got out of our seats to see if he was okay. He was fine but sometimes they can "Power Out" and recover (when they use a burst of acceleration to keep from rolling over.) It is amazing to see it live. Grave Digger, one of my favorite trucks, wins in the final racing competition against MAX-D (my son's favorite). Saving the best for last, the best part is in the Freestyle Competition. We all anticipate backflips, but it is hard to do and they all don't land it. This is where they get to show off and show us what they can do. Sometimes their wheels comes off, their car catches fire, and it looks like they're going to roll over but they keep going. MAX-D wins it because he landed his backflip (it is what he does best)! The crowd went wild! During the judges interviews, they say they judge base on the audiences reactions. "We want to see you go all out and do back flips or maybe even double back flips."
SUMMARY: Anaheim, California – Saturday, January 14, 2017 – Angel Stadium
Hosts – Keith Jones, Taylor Mock and Scott Jordan
Truck line-up: Grave Digger® (Adam Anderson), Max-D™ (Neil Elliott), Monster Energy® (Carl Van Horn), El Toro Loco® (Marc McDonald), Team Hot Wheels™ Firestorm (Scott Buetow), FS1 Cleatus™ (Colt Stephens), Bounty Hunter (Jim Creten), Scarlet Bandit (Dawn Creten), Wild Flower (Rosalee Ramer), Time Flys (Kelvin Ramer), Obsession (Rick Swanson), Obsessed (Eric Swanson), Razin Kane (Buddy Tompkins), Ice Cream Man (Roy Pridgeon)
OVERALL EVENT STANDINGS
- Max-D 27
- Grave Digger 22
- Monster Energy 21
- FS1 Cleatus 20
- Bounty Hunter 20
- Razin Kane 17
- El Toro Loco 16
- Team Hot Wheels Firestorm 13
- Time Flys 13
- Ice Cream Man 12
- Wild Flower 11
- Obsession 8
- Scarlet Bandit 5
- Obsessed 5
- Team Hot Wheels Firestorm defeated Razin Kane
- Max-D defeated Bounty Hunter
- Grave Digger defeated Monster Energy
- El Toro Loco defeated FS1 Cleatus
- Max-D defeated Team Hot Wheels Firestorm
- Grave Digger defeated El Toro Loco
FINALS: Grave Digger defeated Max-D
- Time Flys 35
- Wild Flower 25
- Obsession 23
- Obsessed 19
- Scarlet Bandit 17
- Ice Cream Man 13
- Max-D 40
- FS1 Cleatus 39
- Monster Energy 38
- Ice Cream Man 35
- Bounty Hunter 34
- Razin Kane 31
- Grave Digger 31
- Time Flys 26
- Wild Flower 25
- El Toro Loco 22
- Obsession 21
- Scarlet Bandit 20
- Obsessed 16
- Team Hot Wheels Firestorm 11
Adam Anderson and Grave Digger won his ninth straight race at Anaheim to take home the Monster Jam Racing Championship. Neil Elliott and Max-D won his sixth freestyle championship since 2005.
It is our third year covering MONSTER JAM and we always have a blast! They change out the trucks at every event so you'll want to check their tour schedule. If you want to meet the trucks and drivers, they have Pit Parties before each event. I believe they are an additional $10 each person. You will need event tickets plus Pit Passes to enter. There's more info about Pit Parties below. I also recommend bringing something to protect your ears. Bring noise cancelling headphones or earplugs. I found some very inexpensive noise reduction earmuffs for the children at Harbor Freight in the safety section for $2.99. They have other options available too.
Monster Jam 2017
Jan. 14th, Jan. 28th, Feb 11th and Feb.25th
Angel Stadium of Anaheim
2000 Gene Autry Way
TICKETS: Ticket prices start at just $25! All seats are reserved; tickets available for purchase online at Ticketmaster.com or charge by phone at 800-745-3000; tickets are currently not available for purchase in-person at the Angel Stadium box office until a later date. **Ticket prices subject to change – additional venue/ticketing fees may apply.
The Women of Monster Jam:
2017 marks the most ever professional female monster truck drivers in the history of Monster Jam (12 female drivers total) – with four female drivers competing in various Anaheim events; highlighted by the youngest ever female driver (19 year old Rosalee Ramer driving Wild Flower). Plus, the first-ever female driver “Queen of Carnage” Madusa will be making her final Anaheim appearance ever at the Feb. 11th Pit Party event as part of her Monster Jam Farewell Tour.
The Monster Jam trucks are designed to protect the driver at all times. A specially-constructed roll cage is built to house the driver, who is often sitting directly in the middle. Specially constructed seats that mold to the driver’s shape allow the work to be done with minimal distraction. A five-point harness is mounted securely to the truck to help hold the driver in position. The truck includes a receiver for a Remote Ignition Interrupter (RII). A signal can be transmitted to the truck by way of a special radio, which will shut off the engine. Each truck has a secondary on-off switch located at the rear on the frame. Other safety features are designed, built and mandated to keep the truck safe and operational.
Each driver is equipped with specified safety gear, starting with the custom fitted fire resistant driving suit. The suits offer a minimum of three layers of protection. The helmet meets Snell Foundation regulations for fire-resistance while serving as part of the head-and-neck restraint system, which includes a tested and approval harness system. The drivers’ hands are protected by flame-resistant gloves which have a tacky grip side for steering wheel control. The drivers’ feet are protected by special fire resistant shoes that also include a thin sole for optimal throttle and brake control.
Monster Jam Pit Party
PIT PARTY open from 2:30PM – 5:30PM prior to each Saturday event. In addition to the world-class racing and freestyle competition action, fans can come to the stadium early to enjoy the Monster Jam® Pit Party pre-show experience. Fans can view their favorite trucks up-close, meet the star drivers for autograph and take photos! Exclusive VIP Early Access to Pit Party at 1:30PM for Total Access Pass holders. **Event ticket and Pit Passes are required for entry; Pit Passes available to purchase for $10 each.
- Saturday, January 14, 2017: Pit Party open from 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM (Event ticket & Pit Pass required for entry). Event Time – 6:30 PM Featured Trucks/Drivers: Grave Digger® driven by Adam Anderson; Max D™ driven by Neil Elliott; El Toro Loco® driven by Marc McDonald; Monster Energy driven by Damon Bradshaw; Team Hot Wheels® Firestorm driven by Scott Buetow; FS1 Cleatus™ driven by Colt Stephens; Bounty Hunter driven by Jim Creten; Time Flys driven by Kelvin Ramer; Wild Flower driven by Rosalee Ramer; Razin Kane driven by Buddy Tompkins; Ice Cream Man driven by Roy Pridgeon; Scarlet Bandit driven by Dawn Creten; Obsessed driven by Eric Swanson; Obsession driven by Rick Swanson **Truck line-up subject to change
- Saturday, January 28, 2017:Pit Party open from 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM (Event ticket & Pit Pass required for entry) Event Time – 6:30 PM Featured Trucks/Drivers: Grave Digger® driven by Adam Anderson; Max D™ driven by Neil Elliott; El Toro Loco® driven by Marc McDonald; Monster Energy driven by Damon Bradshaw; Team Hot Wheels® Firestorm driven by Scott Buetow; FS1 Cleatus™ driven by Colt Stephens; Bounty Hunter driven by Jim Creten; Time Flys driven by Kelvin Ramer; Wild Flower driven by Rosalee Ramer; Razin Kane driven by Buddy Tompkins; Ice Cream Man driven by Roy Pridgeon; Scarlet Bandit driven by Dawn Creten; Obsessed driven by Eric Swanson; Obsession driven by Rick Swanson **Truck line-up subject to change
- Saturday, February 11, 2017: Pit Party open from 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM (Event ticket & Pit Pass required for entry). Event Time – 6:30 PM Featured Trucks/Drivers: Grave Digger® driven by Dennis Anderson; Son-uva Digger® driven by Ryan Anderson; El Toro Loco® driven by Becky McDonough; Monster Energy driven by Coty Saucier; Bounty Hunter driven by Todd Morey; Jester driven by Matt Pagliarulo; Xtermigator driven by JR McNeal; Wrecking Crew driven by Mike Thompson; Iron Outlaw driven by Mike Christensen; Rage driven by Cory Rummel; Barbarian driven by Devin Jones; Over Bored driven by Jamey Garner; Black Stallion driven by Mike Vaters; Overkill Evolution driven by Mike Vaters II **Truck line-up subject to change
- Saturday, February 25, 2017: Pit Party open from 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM (Event ticket & Pit Pass required for entry) Event Time – 6:30 PM Featured Trucks/Drivers: Grave Digger® driven by Charlie Pauken; Monster Mutt® Dalmatian driven by Candice Jolly; Soldier Fortune driven by Chad Fortune; Metal Mulisha driven by Todd LeDuc; Dragon driven by Scott Liddycoat; Raminator driven by Mark Hall; VP Racing Fuel’s® Mad Scientist driven by Lee O’Donnell; Storm Damage driven by Tim Mente; Hurricane Force driven by Steven Thompson; Xtreme Diesel driven by Dave Radzierez; Devastator driven by Mark Schroeder; McGruff driven by Rod Wood; Hooligan driven by Gary Schott Jr.; Big Kahuna driven by Shane England **Truck line-up subject to change